Thursday, June 21, 2012

Top 5 Breastfeeding Items

This is just a list of the top 5 breastfeeding items that I am glad to have had while nursing.
  1. Nursing tank top: It has been the best help, I know that I don't want my bare side showing while I'm nursing in public and this seems like the best way to prevent anybody getting any sort of peek.
  2. Nursing cover: This is essentially a blanket with a strap that goes around your neck so the baby or the wind doesn't pull it off, giving an unexpected victim any surprises! There are several manufactures of them, or you can find tons of tutorials to follow. I made mine and want to make one more, when I do I will post my own tutorial.
  3. Breast pads: I think everyone needs these. I needed them all the time those first few weeks, but especially at night when you might be having a further stretch in between nursing or laying in a strange way. I recommend either making  your own or investing in some good ones. The reusable ones from target ( Nuk brand) are terrible, not soft at all and just poorly made. And who thought It would be a good idea to make disposables? They gross me out just thinking about, they are made of the same bad stuff disposable diapers and pads are made of. Dioxin and that toxic gel ( and they want me to put that on my babies natural food source, no way!) Some of the brands I like are ImseVimse and several etsy shops sell nice, even organic nursing pads. I would recommend having at least 5 pairs at a minimum to get you through several changes before you need to wash.
  4. Some sort of nipple cream, one that is safe for the baby to ingest and one that is not super stiff. Even just simple coconut oil is wonderful.
  5. A big glass of water. This is the best way for me to get all the water a nursing mom needs, if you are dehydrated it will effect your milk supply. Make sure your container of choice is BPA free and made of safe materials. Glass or stainless steel are the best, but if you must have a plastic container opt for one that is safe. BPA will pass through breast milk so unless your 100% sure don't use # 7 plastics. The safest plastics are 2, and 4. Never use #3 or #6 plastics though they are known to cause problems.
There are other things that come close to making my list of favorites. A nursing pillow is very nice to have as well as a nursing bra, and ice packs. But these are the 5 things I would be very sad to live without! ~Erica

No comments: